Specific problem - advice

For personal help with a problem within the UK contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06.

If you are a UK consumer having a problem with a trader based in a different European country then there is a special service offering advice and support, the UK European Consumer Centre (UK ECC) which is hosted by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute. 

For free and impartial advice and support on either general consumer rights or specific complaints against traders based in a European country outside the UK, you can contact the UK ECC via its website www.ukecc.net by email ecc@tsi.org.uk or by phone 01268 886690.