Refund, repair or replacement - what am I entitled to?

When you buy goods from a trader or when goods are supplied as part of a service, you enter into a contract which is controlled by many laws including the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. These laws give you certain (sometimes referred to as statutory) rights under this contract. Goods should be:

  • of satisfactory quality - this means that goods should meet a standard which a reasonable person would regard as being satisfactory, taking account of any description applied to them, the price (if relevant) and all other relevant circumstances. Satisfactory quality also includes the appearance and finish of the goods, their safety and durability and whether they are free from minor faults.
  • as described - goods should correspond with any description applied to them
  • fit for any purpose that is made known to the trader - goods must be fit for their general purpose and any particular purpose that a consumer makes known to the trader at the time of buying the item For example if you buy a sleeping bag it must work as a sleeping bag. If you make it clear before you buy that you need it for -40 degree conditions and the trader states it will be suitable then it should be  fit for that purpose.

You are legally entitled to a refund, replacement or repair if goods do not conform to the contract, in other words are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or as described, but which remedy should you claim?

In the guide
When am I entitled to a refund?
When am I entitled to a repair?
When am I entitled to a replacement?
Repair/replacement did not resolve the problem - what am I entitled to?
How long do my consumer rights last for?
Does this mean that all goods should last six years?
I have a warranty/guarantee - Do I have to claim under this?
The trader is refusing to help me - what should I do?
Off premises/distance sales - what am I entitled to?
Rights to redress – what can I claim?
The goods I bought on credit are faulty – what are my rights?


Enter your postcode in the field below to see if your local trading standards service has the full version of this leaflet on its website.