Cumbrian pupils triumph in consumer quiz
Cumbria County Council Trading Standards Service this week held the very first Trading Standards Institute Consumer Challenge Quiz which saw pupils from five schools scooping prizes for their efforts and knowledge.
The quiz is an inter-school competition for teams of young people with moderate learning difficulties from schools within Cumbria. The aim of the quiz was to help the pupils learn about their rights as consumers and to feel confident when making purchasing decisions.
The quiz, held at Penrith leisure Centre, covered subjects such as age restricted products, safety, food, shoppers’ rights and legal matters. The results were as follows –
Whinfell School Kendal.- 28 points out of 30 - Winners
Sandside Lodge School, Ulverston – 25 points out of 30
James Rennie, Carlisle – 21 points out of 30
Sandgate School, Kendal – 21 points out of 30
Mayfield School, Whitehaven – 20 points out of 30
The prizes and goody bags were presented to the students by county councillor Mike Hawkins. There was also a prize for the best mascot won by Sandgate School, which was judged by BBC Radio Cumbria’s Mike Zeller, who was also quiz master.
There is now an opportunity for the winning team in Cumbria to participate in the national final.
Cllr Gary Strong, Cabinet Member for community safety and local services, said: “The young people were given practical examples of every-day consumer problems and have to work as a team to agree on the answer. It was fun, entertaining and an educational day which helped young people with moderate learning difficulties to learn about their rights as consumers and to feel confident in making decisions.”
Angela Jones Trading Standards Service Manager, said: “This is the first time in which Cumbria County Council’s Trading Standards team have been involved with this quiz. It has proved to be an ideal opportunity to engage with young people who are consumers of the future.
“It was a very successful day and all participants enjoyed themselves. I would also like to thank all the sponsors who contributed to the trophies, medals, prizes and goody bags and to Penrith Leisure Centre.”
Notes for editors
1. The "Consumer Challenge Quiz" was developed by Birmingham Trading Standards in order to help young people with moderate learning difficulties to become better informed and more confident consumers.
1. List of Sponsors:
• Derek Jones Home Maintenance & Renovation (BWC Member) - £20
• Owen Bayliss Digital Services (BWC Member) - £50.00
• Dave Jessop Kitchen - Bathroom & Bedroom Installations (BWC Member) - £20.00
• Jardine Finan (BWC Member) - £20.00
• Boyes - 20 Note Pads & Pencils
• Home Bargains - 2 x Large Bags of Chocolate Toffees
• Lakeland - 48 x Boxes of Chocolate After Dinner Mints + Carrier Bags
• D Quiggin & Son - 36 x Bars Kendal White Mintcake
• Creative Confectionery - 25 x Coconut Ice, 20 x Peanut Brittle, 24 x Milk Chocolate Teddy Bears, 36 x Milk Chocolate Mice, 24 x White Mintcake, 24 x Brown Mintcake
• Thorntons - 6 x Bags of Chocolate Smiley Faces
• Morrisons - 2 x Packs of Biscuits, 1 x Big bag of Dried Fruit
• Willow Water - 72 Bottles of water
• Kendal Trophies - £10.00+ discount given on Winners Cup & Medals
• Asda - Bags of Apples, 4 x Table Cloths, Plastic Cups, Napkins, Straws, 3 x Plastic Winner Medals
Media enquiries to communications adviser Charlotte Thompson on 01228 226325
DATE: 18 March 2013