Trading Standards warn against door-to-door chainsaw sales
Trading standards officers from Dorset County Council are urging consumers to be on their guard against ‘cold-callers’ selling chainsaws door-to-door.
Several complaints have been received and safety concerns were raised about the products, and the sellers often having no contact address or telephone number.
Consumers might think they are getting a bargain, but they will have problems if anything goes wrong.
Neil Martin, a principal trading standards officer for Dorset County Council Trading Standards Service said:
“Chainsaws are potentially dangerous unless used by experienced operators. We are also concerned that equipment like this has been offered for sale around Dorset without required safety warnings and user manuals with appropriate instructions for use.
“We are currently trying to track down the original source of some of the chainsaws being sold door-to-door, and are warning potential consumers to stick to trusted suppliers and known outlets.”
Trading Standards advice for dealing with door-to-door sales people is to consider the following:
• Who are you buying from? – Do they have paperwork? Are they legitimate?
• Think twice before you buy and if you are made to feel under pressure to make a purchase, have the confidence to say no.
• Talk to someone you trust for a second opinion.
• If you spend more than £35 with a trader on the doorstep, you usually have seven days in which to cancel.
Anyone who has further information or complaints about a chainsaw should contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 08454 04 05 06. This is the first point of contact for any consumer complaints requiring investigation by trading standards officers.
Notes for editors
1. For further information, call Neil Martin (Principal Trading Standards Officer), or Ivan Hancock (Trading Standards Service Manager), on 01305 224012.
2. For more information on trading standards law and the work of the County Council’s Trading Standards Service, visit the website: http://www.dorsetforyou.com/tradingstandards