The Chartered Trading Standards Institute is a professional membership association formed in 1881. It represents trading standards professionals in the UK and overseas - in local authorities, the business and consumer sectors and in central government.
It exists to promote and protect the success of a modern vibrant economy, and to safeguard the health, safety and wellbeing of citizens by enhancing the professionalism of members in support of empowering consumers, encouraging honest business and targeting rogue traders.
CTSI has five broad corporate aims:
- To support CTSI Members and TS Services so the trading standards profession can innovate, sustain outcomes and develop new practitioners.
- To develop innovative solutions through anticipating and responding to the changing needs of our members.
- To make an operating contribution through diversification so that our ambitions can be realised.
- To expand our influence and operations through International market surveillance solutions.
- To ensure our campaigns, products and policies have high impact.
What we deliver to achieve our corporate aims:
- Training and qualifications for the trading standards as a profession, including some overseas contracts for services in other countries
- Continuous Personal Professional Training for members to keep up to date
- Policy work, responding to consultations, attending relevent forums and sharing ideas with government, stakeholders and business
- A Lead Officer framework of more than 50 volunteer specialist trading standards professionals. These specialists monitor and contribute to national meetings and forums, consultations and media enquiries on their subject while maintaining their role within local authorities or as compliance officers within business
- Providing bespoke online websites and other products that help local authorities deliver their trading standards regulatory services
- Liaison with the media to promote consumer safety messages and business understanding of compliance
- Networking and training events including the annual Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards Conference and Exhibition
- Business companion website - trading standards law explained
- Consumer Codes Approval Scheme
CTSI leading the trading standards profession as a not for profit membership association. We deliver first class customer service through our innovative solutions, for local authorities and business. We are committed to empowering consumers and encouraging honest business.
CTSI is host to UK ECC net and UK ECC services- two European iniatives to support consumer purchasing products and services across european borders.
The Chartered Trading Standards Institute (Reg. RC000879) TSI and itsa ltd, our wholly owned subsidiary delivery companies (Reg. No. 2767942), are all registered in England and Wales at 1 Sylvan Court, Sylvan Way, Southfields Business Park, Basildon, Essex SS15 6TH. Group Vat reg no. 795 8626 60.