The Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) is a not-for-profit membership organisation founded in 1881 to support and represent trading standards professionals in the UK and abroad.
Sustainable excellence in local trading standards services and the continued development of trading standards professionals are at the heart of CTSI’s ethos; they are central to our wider mission to promote and protect a modern and vibrant economy, and to safeguard the health, safety and wellbeing of citizens and honest businesses.
CTSI’s strategic objectives for 2014-2017 are:
1. To support CTSI members and TS services so the trading standards profession can innovate, sustain outcomes and develop new practitioners.
2. To champion the trading standards profession at local, central and European governments.
3. To be a key deliverer of information and guidance to businesses on trading standards law.
4. To empower consumers and promote honest enterprise through approval and growth of industry codes of practice
5. To grow our business so that our ambitions for the profession can be realised.
What we do
• Training and qualifications for trading standards as a profession, including some overseas contracts for services in other countries
• Continuous personal professional training for members to keep up to date
• Policy work, responding to consultations, attending relevant forums and sharing ideas with government, stakeholders and business
• Bespoke online websites and other products that help local authorities deliver their trading standards regulatory services
• Liaison with the media to promote consumer safety messages and business understanding of compliance
• Networking and training events including the annual Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards Conference and Exhibition
• Business companion website - trading standards law explained
• Consumer Codes Approval Scheme
• A family of publications – monthly TS Today, quarterly TS Review and a membership update TS Update.
Who we are
CTSI has nearly 60 employees – a number that is steadily growing to meet our developing remit within the consumer, business and political landscapes.
Our contact details can be found here.
Consumers looking for advice or to make a complaint should contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 – they will pass on complaints to the relevant trading standards services as appropriate, and local trading standards services can access the database for intelligence.
We also have a network of more than 50 volunteer lead officers who are experts in specialist trading standards areas. They monitor and contribute to national meetings and forums, consultations and media enquiries on their subject while maintaining their role within local authorities or as compliance officers within businesses.