The primary role of an Internal Verifier (IV) is to monitor the work of all assessors involved with the qualification, to ensure that they are applying the assessment criteria for the competency of skills consistently throughout all assessment activities.
As a verifier you are responsible for:
- ensuring that assessors follow the assessment guidelines provided
- advising and supporting assessors to assist them in interpreting and
- applying the assessment criteria for competency and demonstration of knowledge requirements
- sampling assessment activities, methods and records to monitor consistency of assessment decisions
- providing assessors with prompt, accurate and constructive feedback on their assessment decisions
- undertaking an active role in raising and disseminating issues of good practice, consistency and quality assurance in assessment practice.
ensuring that equal opportunities and anti discriminatory practices are upheld in the assessment process
- liaising with assessors, candidates and the external verifier to implement the quality assurance requirements of the assessment system.
- managing a team of assessors where necessary up to a maximum of three
- ensuring that candidates records and TSI assessment documentation are completed in a timely manner to allow certification to take place
countersigning all verified assessment documentation
The verification process will be through:
- observation of assessments
- questioning assessors
- questioning candidates
- examination of evidence
- questioning of others involved in the assessment eg witnesses
- examination of assessor records
Portfolios should be assessed by all those involved on an ongoing process, task by task. Portfolios should not be end loaded, that is given to the Internal Assessor or IV only when it is completed.
As part of the submission process the External Verifier will ask the IV for the following documentation:
- copy of the portfolio submission form
- all assessment plans and action plans (form assess 1)
- subject assessment summary forms (form assess 2)
- all observation reports (form assess 4)
- candidate assessment feedback forms (form assess 5)
- witness statement list
- all internal verification documentation
Internal verifiers need to have attended a TSI assessor and verifier training course to understand expectations, requirements of the role and the portfolios and associated paperwork.
All verification documentation can be found in the qualifications resource centre.