Consumer Advisory Panel
What is the Consumer Advisory Panel?
The overall purpose of the Panel is to support the aims of the scheme, help reduce consumer detriment and raise consumer standards.
The Consumer Advisory Panel supports the Consumer Codes Approval Board in the approval process.
"To represent consumer interests and maintain consumer confidence in the Consumer Codes Approval Scheme and individual approved codes."
The Panel consists of nine members representing a range of consumer interest across the UK:
Sue Edwards (chair) – Citizens Advice
Alison Farrar - CTSI Lead Officer for consumer education
Helena Twist – the National Consumer Federation
Caroline Jacobs - Research Institute for Consumer Affairs
Fraser Sutherland – Citizens Advice Scotland
Professor Geoffrey Woodroffe – Solictor and consumer law expert
Jane Negus – CTSI European Consumer Centre
Jane Vass – Age UK
They will meet at least twice a year to:
- hold code sponsors to account for their compliance reporting and evidence base of their annual reports
- provide additional data sources to challenge evidence provided by potential code sponsors or current code sponsors
- complete research on particular consumer issues, either raised by the Panel or commissioned by the Board
- monitor complaints data relating to code sponsors and their codes members
- review the content of any potential code sponsors codes, commenting on and challenging the content of the code from a consumer perspective
- provide advice to the Board on consumer issues
- hold the Board to account on CCAS policy and decisions from a consumer perspective
- bring in specialist advice, insight and expertise if researching consumer issues relating to a specific group of consumers
- identify emerging consumer issues and areas of consumer detriment;
- consider business sectors which could benefit from a consumer code and report back to the Board and make recommendations as appropriate.