A career in Trading Standards
Would you like to make the UK a safer place for businesses and consumers? If you have great communication skills, work well under pressure and are determined with good attention to detail, then a career in trading standards could be perfect for you.
Working in Trading Standards is interesting and varied, and no two days are the same. In this role, you might be:
- Stopping businesses selling alcohol, cigarettes or vapes to children
- Checking up on local shops and businesses (sometimes undercover)
- Looking for unsafe products that shouldn’t be for sale
- Ensuring vulnerable people are not victims of scams
- Checking that food and drink labels are accurate and not misleading
- Checking that products are not sold under weight or short measured
Many trading standards officers are employed by their local councils, so you will be working within your own community. This will also give you the opportunity to work for different councils in the future if you want to relocate, or move into a role within the private sector.
The best ways to get a job in Trading Standards is through an apprenticeship or by looking for a job with your local council.
If you are interested in an apprenticeship, click here to find out more
Find out more about training and development opportunities here
If you would like to look for an opportunity with your local council, search for the careers page on their website.