CTSI Individual Membership
As a Chartered Institute, our aim is to build an organisation and lead a profession which is both inclusive and representative of the communities we serve. Renowned for our professionalism and commitment, we are here to support our members through these challenging times, while maintaining the public’s trust and respect for the profession. At the same time, we recognise the need to safeguard and encourage the overwhelming majority of honest businesses. And one way we achieve this is through the promotion and delivery of up-to-date education and training.
Individual membership of the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) is open to all trading standards professionals, working across both the public and private sectors. Our Affiliate membership is also open to anyone working outside of the trading standards profession who aligns with or has an interest in promoting the objectives of the Institute. Whether you are at the start of your career, or a seasoned professional – working for a local authority, a business, or self-employed – there is a membership category for you.
CTSI Member Categories and Fees
There are five categories of CTSI Membership for individuals – and each has different requirements. If you are unsure which membership category applies to you, please feel free to contact our Member Services team on 01268 582228 or via email email@example.com
1. Full Member (£142 per annum)
- REQUIREMENTS: You can become a full CTSI Member if you have a statutory qualification to act as an Inspector of Weights and Measures in Great Britain; Diploma in Trading Standards; Diploma in Consumer Affairs part 2; DCATS; CPCF Stage 2. CTSI also recognises previous versions of these qualifications.
- POST-NOMINAL LETTERS: As a full CTSI Member you are entitled to use the official Post-Nominals, MCTSI, to demonstrate your professional commitment. You will have voting rights for key decisions and the opportunity to join the CTSI Council.
- CTSP: As a full member you may be eligible to register as a Chartered Trading Standards Practitioner (CTSP) – this is a tangible way to demonstrate your ongoing competency to your employer and business sector.
2. Associate Member (£95 per annum)
- REQUIREMENTS: You can become an Associate Member if you are part-qualified and working within the field of trading standards or consumer protection. Part qualified is defined as holding DCA part 1, FCATS, CSCATS, CPCF Stage 1 or antecedent.
- POST-NOMINAL LETTERS: As an Associate Member you can use the official Post-Nominals, ACTSI, to demonstrate your professional commitment.
3. Student Member (£43 per annum)
- REQUIREMENTS: You can become a Student Member if you are registered as a student for one of CTSI’s qualifications or other course of study (including RCO apprenticeship) leading to one of CTSI’s qualifications, provided that such person is not eligible for any other class of membership.
4. Affiliate Member (£71 per annum)
- REQUIREMENTS: You can become an Affiliate Member if you are not eligible for any other class of membership but have an interest in, or are desirous of, promoting the interests and objectives of the Institute. This category of membership is also available to those working outside of trading standards.
5. Retired Member (£47 per annum)
- REQUIREMENTS: You can become a Retired Member having previously been either a full Member or an Associate Member of CTSI, on retirement from your qualifying appointment. You will enjoy the rights and privileges of the membership category you held immediately prior to retirement.
In addition to being part of a recognised and well-respected professional body, dedicated to representing and safeguarding the interests of trading standards and consumer protection professionals, individual CTSI Members receive a wide range of other benefits too:
- One free delegate pass, to the CTSI Annual Conference, worth over £300
- Exclusive discounts on CTSI Training Courses
- Discounted CPCF Portfolio Submissions and Exam Entry Fees - helping you save and further your career
- A network of 13 Regional Branches throughout the UK – offering training days and excellent networking opportunities
- Updates from the Journal of Trading Standards website, featuring a continued stream of news and features from the world of trading standards
- Free copy of the printed edition of the Journal of Trading Standards, incorporating more in-depth, focused and analytical features – an academic journal for the trading standards profession - delivered to your door twice each year
- Access to specialist advice and support through our network of specialist lead officers
- Access to the Members-Only Area of the CTSI website
- Sustain and prove your competency with free access to our Continuing Personal and Professional Development (CPPD) Scheme, worth £126.50 + VAT
- Qualifying members can demonstrate their professionalism with Post-Nominal Letters – MCTSI or ACTSI
- Claim Up to 40% Tax Relief on Membership Fees and Chartered Trading Standards Practitioner (CTSP) registration (depending on your tax band). Complete the tax relief form and return to your local tax office
- EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNTS: Up to 20% discount on Dell Computers and Accessories; 25% off luxury bouquets at Appleyard Flowers; Discounted Professional Indemnity Insurance from Howden’s.
Membership Application Process
To join CTSI, you will need to complete a Membership Application form. To maintain our high standards, each completed application also requires a Proposer – who needs to be current members of CTSI. However, please don’t let this particular requirement act as a barrier to your application. If you don’t yet have a Proposer, simply let us know and we will be happy to arrange this for you. If you are applying for Affiliate Membership the requirement for a proposer is not waived.
The application process itself is simple. Once your completed Membership Application form has been received, an email including all details and a timeline will be sent to you. Then, as soon as your membership has been approved, we will notify you via email.
Regional CTSI Branches
CTSI operates 13 Regional Branches around the country, defined by local authority boundaries. When you become a member of CTSI, you automatically join your local CTSI Branch. While no Branch Membership fees are charged in the first year of your membership, in subsequent years, any recurring fees for branch membership (if applicable) will be invoiced at the same time as the national Membership Fees, and then refunded directly to your Branch.
CTSI Code of Conduct
In common with most other professional membership bodies, all members of the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) are required to abide by our Code of Conduct. CTSI is governed by its regulations which can be found at (link to resource on about us).
Ready to Join?
If you are ready to join the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) as an Individual Member, please complete the Online Application form (below). Alternatively, if you have any questions, please feel free to call our friendly and helpful Member Services team on 01268 582228 (during normal office hours), or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE: If you represent a business or other organisation, you can apply to join CTSI as a Corporate Affiliate Member
Our membership year runs on a rolling basis. Your renewal date will be your joining date. There is nothing to pay until your membership has been approved.
You can choose to pay annually by bank transfer, credit/debit card, cheque or Direct Debit. Alternatively, you can pay quarterly or monthly by Direct Debit. Details of these will be given in the renewal notice at the point of renewal. If your local authority or organisation is paying your membership fees, please let us know on the application form.
GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR):
CTSI will use the information provided in your application solely for the purpose of providing membership services and fulfilling its obligations to the Charter, byelaws, regulations and regulatory requirements. This information will only be shared as appropriate with the branch membership network. If you require any further details in relation to data protection including your rights and subject access requests, please contact member services or visit the following page: https://www.tradingstandards.uk/about-ctsi/privacy-policy.