Fireworks safety awareness campaign
The Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) is working with the Office for Product Safety and Standards on a campaign to raise public awareness of the need to enjoy fireworks safely and responsibly.
The campaign will ensure the public are aware of restrictions on the use of fireworks, specifically, around the times of year they’re allowed and curfew times, as well as warn them on the dangers of buying fireworks from non-legitimate sources. Due to the COVID-19 restrictions this year we are predicting a rise in home displays, some of which will be using fireworks for the first time.
The key messages of the campaign are as follows:
- buy fireworks from reputable retailers and ensure they are CE marked
- understand the four different categories of fireworks and which ones are suitable for consumer use
- store fireworks as per instructions, ensuring they are away from under 18s
- use fireworks as per safety instructions, ensuring they are not handled by those under 18
- retailers to be aware of their responsibilities and obligations with regards to selling fireworks
- be considerate when using fireworks by informing neighbours that you intend to use them in your garden
- ensure you are setting off fireworks within correct curfew hours
- protection of animals and vulnerable people from fireworks
- Fireworks are dangerous
- Never handle fireworks
- Always stay with a responsible adult while watching fireworks
As part of the campaign, CTSI will produce and utilise a number of digital resources which will be shared through our social media channels. These resources are detailed below. The Office for Product Safety and Standards would appreciate as much interaction from consumer protection partners and key stakeholder organisations in sharing these messages. Your involvement in this campaign will help ensure members of the public are educated on and protected from the dangers of fireworks.
CTSI will produce a video animation highlighting each of the key messages for the campaign and delving into the history of fireworks. This video will be published online during the campaign and be available to share on all social media channels.
Advice feature article
The Journal of Trading Standards will publish an advice feature which further explored the key safety messages of the campaign. The article will features quotes from the CTSI Lead Officer for Explosives, and signposts to additional sources of information.
CTSI has produced a campaign pack, including a brief on the key messages and examples on how local authorities and stakeholder partners can get involved.
Key messages graphics
A number of graphics highlighting key messages for the campaign will be shared via CTSI social media channels, and available to download in the below 'Related resources'.