OECD Product Safety Week Campaign
The Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) is working with the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) and the Office for Product Safety and Standards on a campaign to raise awareness of issues surrounding product safety when shopping online.
Aimed at consumers, online sellers and online platforms, the campaign will help ensure the public remain protected from unsafe products when buying online. The key messages of the campaign are split into three distinct sections, with guidance provided by the OECD. These are:
- Online Sellers
- Make sure you are selling safe products.
- Comply with product safety laws in any jurisdiction where you offer products
- Share product safety information and concerns with consumers effectively
- Be responsive to consumers and authorities
- Online platforms
- Identify and remove unsafe products from your platform and ensure seller’s contact details are visible
- Promote product safety compliance and work cooperatively with authorities
- Check if products you’re buying have been issued outstanding recalls
- Register products after purchase and report safety issues as they arise
- Check information on who you’re buying from, including ratings, reviews and safety compliance information
As part of the campaign, CTSI will produce and utilise a number of digital resources which will be shared through our social media channels. These resources are detailed below. The Office for Product Safety and Standards would appreciate as much interaction from consumer protection partners and key stakeholder organisations in sharing these messages. Your involvement in this campaign will help ensure members of the public are educated on and protected from the dangers of fireworks.
All campaign materials can be found on the CTSI campaign hub.
Awareness video: CTSI will produce a video animation highlighting each of the key messages for the campaign and looking at the OECD and product safety. This video will be published online during the campaign and be available to share on all social media channels.
Advice feature article: The Journal of Trading Standards has published an advice feature which further explores the key safety messages of the campaign. The article features quotes from the CTSI Lead Officers for Product Safety, and a case study on product recalls.
Key messages infographics: Three infographics focussing on each of the campaign’s core messages. These will be available to download and share from the CTSI campaign page and the Journal of Trading Standards.
Social media graphics: A number of graphics highlighting key messages for the campaign will be shared via CTSI social media channels, and available to download on the campaign page.