Join us - Together we are stronger
Why should I be a member?
Established in 1881 the Institute has a proud association with the profession.
It’s being part of a professional body that offers so much more – making sure your voice is heard. Representing the interests of all trading standards individuals in both private and public sectors. The true benefit of becoming a member stems from strength in unity. As our broad spectrum of members grow, our voice becomes louder, our impact becomes deeper and markets become fairer. Whether you work in a local authority, a business or are self-employed there is a category of membership for you.
Whether you are at the start of your career or a seasoned professional, by becoming a CTSI member you will be joining a community of passionate and like-minded professionals and a Chartered Institute you can be proud of.
Chartered Trading Standards Practitioner (CTSP) status is a personal recognition of an individual’s professional standard by their Institute and peers.
- we have one of the lowest, best value membership rates of any professional institute
- we are regularly referred to in parliamentary debates, representing the profession
- register as a Chartered Trading Standards Practitioner, a nationally recognised status, an opportunity to promote yourself and the profession
What are the benefits?
- a free delegate pass, to the CTSI annual Conference
- exclusive discounts on CTSI training courses
- discounted CPCF portfolio submissions, and exam entry fees, helping you save and further your career
- a network of 13 regional branches throughout the UK, offering training days and excellent networking opportunities
- updates from the Journal of Trading Standards website, featuring a continued stream of news and features from the world of trading standards
- free copy of the printed edition of the Journal of Trading Standards, incorporating more in-depth, focused and analytical features – an academic journal for the trading standards profession -delivered to your door twice each year
- we provide access to specialist advice and support through over forty specialist lead officers
- sustain and prove your competency through our free CPPD scheme, worth £126.50 + VAT
- demonstrate your professionalism with post-nominal letters ACTSI or MCTSI
- claim up to 40% tax relief on membership fees and Chartered Trading Standards Practitioner registration (dependent on your tax contribution). Complete the tax relief form and return to your local tax office
- up to 20% discount on Dell computers and accessories
- 25% off luxury bouquets at Appleyard Flowers
- discounted Professional Indemnity Insurance with Howden
There is a category of membership for everyone
Full Member (annual fee £131)
You can become a Full member if you have a statutory qualification to act as an Inspector of Weights and Measures in Great Britain; Diploma in Trading Standards; Diploma in Consumer Affairs part 2; DCATS; CPCF Stage 2. CTSI also recognises antecedents of these qualifications. As a Full member you can use post nominals MCTSI to demonstrate your professional commitment, you will have voting rights for key decisions, the opportunity to join the CTSI Council and the benefits of membership listed above. As a Full member you may be eligible to register as a Chartered Trading Standards Practitioner, a tangible way to demonstrate your ongoing competency to your employer and business sector.
Associate Member (annual fee £88)
You can become an Associate member if you are part-qualified and working within the field of trading standards or consumer protection. Part qualified is defined as holding DCA part 1, FCATS, CSCATS , CPCF Stage 1 or antecedent. As an Associate member you can use the post nominals ACTSI to demonstrate your professional commitment. You will enjoy all the benefits of membership listed above.
Student Member (annual fee £44)
You can become a Student member if you are registered as a student for one of the Institute’s qualifications or other course of study (including RCO apprenticeship) leading to one of the Institute’s qualifications. You will enjoy all the benefits of membership listed above.
Affiliate Member (annual fee £106)
You can become an Affiliate member if you are not eligible for any other class of membership but have an interest in, or are desirous of, promoting the interests and objectives of the Institute. You will enjoy all the benefits of membership listed above.
Corporate Affiliate Member
Corporate Affiliate Membership (CAM) is for those businesses which promote good business practices, are genuinely customer focused and support the aims of the Institute. Corporate Affiliates have a chance to share in our brand equity and publicly display their commitment to our values and fair-trading principles. More information including fees can be viewed here.
Introduce a Friend
- receive a £15 Love2Shop voucher when you introduce a friend. Please read the introduce a friend terms and conditions.
- receive up to £75 Love2Shop voucher when you introduce a corporate affiliate. Please read the introduce a corporate affiliate terms and conditions.
Code of Conduct
Ready to join?
If you would like to join please complete the application form. You will need two sponsors, who are currently members of CTSI. Find out which category of membership applies to you by using the resource located at the bottom the page.
More information about 2022 fees can be found here.
Please provide your email address and password to view the members section of our website: