The Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) is a not-for-profit membership organisation founded in 1881 to support and represent trading standards professionals in the UK and abroad. Sustainable excellence in local trading standards services and the continued development of trading standards professionals are at the heart of the organisation's ethos.
CTSI’s strategic objectives for 2017-2020 are to:
- deliver competency pathways that support professional aims
- deliver income that enables us to invest in our charter aims
- lead debates that shape and promote our profession
- support members so that they are proud to be part of the Institute
The United Kingdom prospers through fair and safe trade.
- we are consumer protection experts and will continue to work with governments and our partners to ensure a sustainable future for trading standards.
- one point of contact within the UK government to represent and be accountable for trading standards.
- trading standards services within local government are chronically underfunded, leaving too many consumers and businesses exposed to criminals and unsafe products.
- making the most with the limited resource allocated, trading standards protects society’s most vulnerable people and creates level and fair trading conditions for honest businesses to thrive.
- CTSI continues to deliver the leading education, career development and professional qualifications for trading standards, consumer protection and regulatory activities.
In delivering these aims CTSI will exploit appropriate commercial opportunities to support its charter aims.
What we do
- training and qualifications for the trading standards profession, including some overseas contracts for services in other countries
- continuous personal professional training for trading standards professionals to keep them up to date
- policy work, responding to consultations, attending relevant forums and sharing ideas with government, stakeholders and business
- bespoke online websites and other products that help local authorities deliver their trading standards regulatory services
- liaison with the media to promote consumer safety messages and business understanding of compliance
- networking and training events including the annual Symposium
- business companion website - trading standards law explained
- Consumer Codes Approval Scheme
- a family of publications – our bi-annual printed magazine Journal of Trading Standards its online companion of the same name and, Leon's Update
Who we are
CTSI is run by its members for its members who are trading standard professionals that work in local government, central government and in the private sector. It is composed of a council, board and executive. Full details of which are in the governance page.
In addition to a central London satellite office, CTSI has almost 50 staff in its Basildon, Essex headquarters where the European Consumer Centre, the European Consumer Centre for Services and the Consumer Codes Approval Scheme are hosted.
Diversity and inclusion
The UK is a diverse, multicultural society, and CTSI believes that the trading standards and consumer protection profession should reflect this.
CTSI engages with all of the UK's communities and encourages the entry of minority ethnicities into the profession. We look forward to furthering our outreach among existing members of the profession and potential future trading standards officers of diverse communities.
CTSI commits itself to inclusive policies that ultimately strengthen the profession and consumer protection in the UK.
CTSI is composed of council, board and executive. It was granted its Royal Charter on the 1 April 2015, by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
To read about CTSI's governance, its company structure and its internal policies in the documents below.
Further information on governance, including details on all sections and branches is available on the practitioner pages.