The National Trading Standards (NTS) Scams Team receive thousands of scam mailings every year from their dedicated Scam Marshals from all over the UK. They take this information and investigate the criminals behind the scams and perform effective disruption work. Since 2016, the NTS Scams Team together with their key partners has prevented 10,069,130 pieces of fraudulent mail landing on consumers doorsteps saving £82,965,830 of consumer detriment. This work will be highlighted in a report due to be launched on 3rd December 2020.
To continue this great work and to see if there are other types of fraudulent mail being sent to UK consumers, the NTS Scams Team are running a Scamnesty (a scams amnesty) campaign throughout December where UK consumers can send in their unwanted mail into the team free of charge.
What can you do?
• The team will send out a social media pack on 20th November 2020 to all stakeholders to be shared externally on their platforms, this is embargoed until launch date on 03 December 2020
• All posts will direct people to www.FriendsAgainstScams.org.uk/scamnesty where consumers can find out how to send their scam mail into the team
• More content will be added leading up to 3rd December 2020 to the resources page hosted on the Friends Against Scams website (this will be a private page), www.FriendsAgainstScams.org.uk/scamnestyresources
• Share this content internally within your organisation and encourage them to speak to their friends and family about scams
• If not already signed up as a Friends Against Scams Organisation, sign up and help to spread the anti-scam message with your networks. Visit www.FriendsAgainstScams.org.uk for more information or email the team at FriendsAgainstScams@surreycc.gov.uk